Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Grilled Poblano Chicken with Melted Monterey Jack


~*Sigh*~... Last week we had a relaxing, too short week at "The Sandy Beach", as my 2 year old excitedly called it. We took a much needed family vacation to San Diego, and had an amazing time! The weather was perfect, we had many fun things to do, and amazing places to dine. My thanks to The Recipe Girl for some really great recommendations, one of which was to visit and dine in Old Town San Diego. You know when your 12 year old son enjoys it, it has to be good- we spent 2 days there! I have to say though, the best breakfast I've truly ever had was in downtown San Diego, at Richard Walker's Pancake House. So good, my family can't stop talking about it! If you ever get a chance to go, it is worth the wait in line.

After a week of dining out though, it was nice to get back into my own kitchen. One of my favorite dishes is grilled poblano chicken with melted Monterey Jack cheese. It's a great idea for company because you can prepare the marinade and roast the chili's the day before, and serve with an easy Spanish rice and salad to complete the meal. Great for the 4th of July!

Personally, I enjoy the flavor of fresh roasted poblano's. They are so easy to prepare. Just grill on all sides till charred, enclose in a paper bag or wrap in a heavy kitchen towel while hot.



After about 30 minutes or so, remove chili's from bag and peel off the outer waxy skin. Remove the seeds and stem. Then you have the most delicious, silky textured chili's.



Grilled Poblano Chicken with Melted Monterey Jack

1/2 c olive oil
2 Tbs white wine vinegar
4 Tbs lime juice
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, grated
1- 1/2 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp pasilla chili powder
Approx 8 medium size chicken breasts
4 roasted poblano chili's (if you can't roast, you can use canned whole green chili's instead)
8 slices monterey jack cheese

Combine everything except chili's and cheese in a large ziploc bag or covered bowl and let marinate 4 to 6 hours.

Grill chicken on medium heat, and just before done, depending on the thickness of chicken you have, place a strip of roasted green chili on top of chicken. Let sit for about a minute, then add slices of monterey jack cheese on top, and let cook until melted and bubbly.


I love the melted cheese on top of the roasted chili... Mmmmmmm.... Enjoy!


Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Karine said...

It looks very good! I love melted cheese with chicken, they go so well together!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

i roast peppers all the time, but have never tried doing poblanos. will have to try your recipe -looks great.

Kara said...

Intriguing - my hubs is the grill guy, so I'm going to bookmark this to show him and see if he wants to give it a whirl! I've never really worked with any hot peppers, I'm kind of a wimp :-)

Patsyk said...

silly question, but just how hot are poblanos? I like a "little" spice, but not at all loving the way too hot stuff.

Glad to see you are back, we missed you!

Becky Brown said...

Welcome back!

This recipe looks yumtastic!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love this dish! Just yesterday aftie my cousin fried some chili wrapped with rice paper and it also has melted cheese inside...

Chef Chuck said...

This Chicken is mouth watering!! I could go for this right know. :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love this idea Kim:D

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Oh, that sounds and looks really scrumptious! A great dish!

Cheers,

Rosa

Anonymous said...

wow, Janet, this looks AMAZING.
I've never tried poblano before, but you've totally inspired me. That melted cheese on top just sold me!

The Food Hunter said...

Glad you had a nice vacation. That chicken looks great.

Peter M said...

I like Poblanos because they are mildly hot and the flavour is incredible. Melted cheese just makes them devlish!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Love that picture by the beach. Great chicken recipe.

Proud Italian Cook said...

That looks superb! I will be trying roasted poblano's thanks to you!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Man, this is one drool-worthy post! I found your site through the Hive...I look forward to reading your posts and trying out your recipes!

Lisa said...

Hi there - Oh, I am so pleased with myself! I got to try this fabulous dinner and it got someone else to cook it for me! Invited for dinner, Judy said oh what should I cook? I immediately directed her to your site - she printed, she roasted, she grilled. It was FABULOUS! Thanks for the post - ttys. L