Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cardamom Meringues



I have always loved meringue cookies. Oh so sweet, melt in your mouth, fat free meringues... a dieters dream for this gal. Until now though, always a store bought indulgence. Light and crisp, they have always satisfied my need for a sweet treat. Available in either vanilla or chocolate star tipped shapes, they've been a perfect size treat for a not so perfectly sized person.




Lately, in an effort to create from availability in my pantry, and to avoid splurging on yet another food magazine in an ever growing stack, I returned to my supply of cookbooks for sweet inspiration.

One that I had purchased awhile ago, yet really never looked through was Swedish Cakes and Cookies , published by Skyhorse Publishing. I've had it for years, and for the life of me can't figure out why I haven't looked through it sooner. It has so many mouth watering cookie, cake, torte, and pastry recipes that I will absolutely be turning to it this holiday season for many of my baked goods.



One that I absolutely loved were the Cardamom Meringues. As I said earlier, I have only had meringues in vanilla and chocolate flavors, so when I saw the cardamom listed as an ingredient, I knew I had to give them a try. I had a great time piping them out with my 3 year old, turning it into somewhat of an "educational" experience as well by creating an alphabet of cookies! However, if you want something with a touch of class, and on a humble budget, create some elegant designs and these may be the sweet you are looking for.

Cardamom Meringues
adapted from Swedish Cakes and Cookies

3 egg whites
1/3 c granulated sugar
1/2 c confectioners sugar
2 Tbs cornstarch
3/4 tsp cardamom

Beat egg whites with half of the granulated sugar until slightly stiff peaks form.

Add the other half of the granulated sugar and beat until shiny and smooth.

In a separate bowl mix together the confectioners sugar, cornstarch, and cardamom, and then carefully fold into the beaten egg whites.

Place mixture into a pastry bag with a size 199 star tip and pipe out desired shapes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake between 50 and 60 minutes at 220 F, or until light in color and dry to the touch.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Rosa said...

They are so pretty that it seems a pity to eat them! You'll have to make some ugly ones too...

Barbara Bakes said...

Great piping job! I love cardamom so this recipe really appeals to me.

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE cardamom - serious, bit time addict. Love the stuff, LOVE.IT. I've been making a soft meringue cookie for years but these give them a run for their money. Yum.

And by the way your photos are spectacular!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Looks too pretty to eat! Not!

Ciao Chow Linda said...

What a stylish looking dessert. I am still on the fence about cardamom though - I have to try it again.

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Such stylishly beautiful photos. I'm still not that familiar with the flavor of cardamom - will have to try again.

Cate O'Malley said...

I love meringues, and these look delicious! I should definitely make them more often. :)